Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 Pro offers a more functional including some great hardware at the asking price, including a Qualcomm Snapdragon 675 8 core processor, 48-megapixel rear camera and a large 4000 mAh battery with fast charging.
At this price, there is hardly any other phone on the market that could fit the hardware of Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 Pro, at least on paper.
Does this mean that this is the same smartphone that can overshadow offers from other brands? Let’s find out in our in-depth review of Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 Pro.
Design of Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 Pro
A series of budget smartphones Redmi, traditionally, adhered to a common design language that hardly stood out from the crowd, but Redmi Note 7 Pro marks an absolute departure from this boring design philosophy.
The company Xiaomi has chosen a premium design, with glass sandwiches, which looks amazing, and at the same time, ensures the durability of the smartphone.
At first glance, the last sentence, from the Redmi sub-brand, looks much more expensive than it is, in fact, and this is definitely good.
- Redmi Note 7 Pro has Gorilla Glass 5, on both sides, while the plastic rim runs along the edges.
- Glass, the back panel is curved and smoothly fits into the rim, which allows the device to feel good in the hands.
- We have a black space color option for review and, describing it in one word, it looks great.
- We really liked the reflective finish and the minimalistic silver logo of Redmi.
The sides have a glossy black paint finish that creates aesthetic uniformity, with a shiny back panel.
On the other hand, the device quickly attracts spots and dust particles and they stand out against the black background.
Also, there is a large camera module, which is one of the thickest we’ve seen on recently released smartphones.
These are two drawbacks that users will have to accept if they don’t use a protective case. Redmi Note 7 Pro also comes in Neptune Blue and Red, both of which have metallic gradient designs.
Security options on Redmi Note 7 Pro
The presence of Gorilla Glass 5, gives us a certain level of confidence that the device must withstand several random drops, without any consequences, for the body.
Xiaomi also claims that Redmi Note 7 Pro has reinforced corners to protect the screen from cracks.
In addition, the company claims that the internal components of Redmi Note 7 Pro, to some extent, are protected from moisture, thanks to waterproof seals and the use of rubber insulation for the SIM card tray, volume buttons and power buttons.
The company used the so-called hydrophobic P2i nano-coating, which is said to protect the smartphone from accidental spills of liquid.
It is worth mentioning here that Redmi Note 7 Pro can withstand only minor liquid ingress, since it is not waterproof or dustproof and does not have an IPxx rating.
It would be better to refrain from immersing this smartphone in water. Any damage caused by exposure to water is not covered by the standard warranty.
The location of the buttons, sensors, ports and connectors on Redmi Note 7 Pro
The fingerprint sensor is conveniently located at the back, but we found that the volume buttons, on the right side, are too high to be reached without moving the smartphone in their hands.
However, the power and volume buttons provide satisfactory tactile feedback.
On the left side, there is a hybrid tray, with two SIM-cards (Nano + Nano), which can also use a microSD card, up to 256 GB, instead of the second SIM-card.
The 3.5 mm jack for headphones is located at the top, next to the IR emitter, and the speaker and USB Type-C port are at the bottom.
Display, on Redmi Note 7 Pro
Redmi Note 7 Pro has a 6.3-inch LTPS In-Cell display, with a resolution of Full-HD + (1080 × 2340 pixels), which has an aspect ratio of 19.5: 9 and a pixel density of 409 per inch. At the top there is a small notch, or “dot mark,” according to Xiaomi.
The color rendition of the display is good, as are the viewing angles, and the content on the screen is clearly displayed due to the large number of pixels.
However, we noticed that the display is quite reflective of the sun’s rays, therefore, we had to maintain brightness, above 90 percent, in order to comfortably use the smartphone in direct sunlight.
You can adjust the color and contrast of the display if you want.
Here, there is a reading mode that makes the color tone of the screen warmer, which makes it easier to read the contents.
In addition to manually turning on or off, users can choose to create their own schedule to activate it.
Dimensions and scope of delivery Redmi Note 7 Pro
Measuring 159.21 x 75.21 x 8.1 mm, the Redmi Note 7 Pro is not a small smartphone and, despite the fact that we liked its overall design and build quality, it wasn’t very convenient for us to use touch controls. on opposite sides of the screen.
Overall, Redmi Note 7 Pro, is one of the most beautiful smartphones in its segment, as well as, looks reliable.
The package includes a smartphone, a transparent protective case, a USB Type-C cable, a 10 W charger, a tool for removing the SIM card, and some instructions.
Processor, memory and connectivity Redmi Note 7 Pro
Xiaomi has a tendency to pack powerful equipment in affordable devices. The smartphone is equipped with an 8-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 675 processor, in combination with 6 GB of RAM.
It comes in two configurations – 4 GB of RAM with 64 GB of internal memory and 6 GB of RAM and 128 GB of internal memory. We have a more expensive option for review, which is estimated at $ 245.
The internal memory of the smartphone can be increased to 256 GB using a microSD card, but this means that you have to sacrifice using two SIM cards at the same time.
The phone is certified Widevine L1, which means that users can broadcast HD content from services, including Amazon Prime Video and Netflix .
Redmi Note 7 Pro connectivity options include a USB Type-C port and a 3.5 mm headphone jack, as well as an IR emitter, 4G LTE, dual-band Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 5.
Software Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 Pro
Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 Pro works with the MIUI 10 interface, based on Android 9 Pie, with the February security update.
Users who simply update the Xiaomi smartphone will feel right at home, and those who prefer the stock version of Android or have used any other skin may find MIUI a bit confusing, especially due to differences in the location of some menu items , in the application “Settings”.
MIUI comes with a huge amount of pre-installed software and Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 Pro is no exception. It comes with pre-installed Xiaomi applications, including Mi Browser, Mi Video, Mi Community and Mi Pay.
There is also a huge number of third-party applications such as Daily Hunt, Opera News and ShareChat.
While third-party applications can be removed, internal applications can only be forcibly stopped. These pre-installed applications not only take up storage space, but also distribute unpleasant advertisements.
To get rid of such applications, we had to disable the option “Get recommendations” in the application MIUI Security.
In addition, we had to individually deactivate the “Personalized Ads” parameters for each application in order to stop seeing them in certain applications.
Useful features of the software Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 Pro
In addition to advertising, MIUI offers some useful features. You can select various gestures to perform tasks such as opening a split-screen interface, closing the current application, turning off the screen, and launching Google Assistant .
The Adaptive Battery feature allows users to automatically select which applications to close, if they are running in the background, to save energy.
- There is also the possibility to limit the actions of background applications without closing them.
- We especially liked the “Second Space” feature, which basically allows users to create a second user profile.
- You can, easily, share personal and professional content, into different profiles, and also, launch a second instance of the application, with a different user ID.
- The best part is that the secondary profile is hidden until someone enters a specific password, lock screen template or fingerprint to open it.
- There are options to mask the cutout or make them work in full screen mode for each application.
However, we found that some games , sometimes, worked with errors or lost some of the content or controls, with full screen enabled.
To summarize, MIUI offers some useful features, but unnecessary applications and annoying advertisements somewhat reduce the possibilities of using an excellent smartphone.
Performance Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 Pro
Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 Pro is powered by the 8-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 675 – the same processor that we last saw in the much more expensive Vivo V15 Pro .
Here, we did not encounter performance fluctuations, while working with ordinary tasks, such as browsing the web, launching several social networks and applications to improve performance, and streaming video.
Even with 10-12 applications running in the background, switching between them was smooth.
Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 Pro also proved to be a capable performer when it comes to gaming. Casual games worked very smoothly and even heavy games like PUBG Mobile and Asphalt 9, Legends worked well.
Both of these games, by default, worked with high graphics and performance settings, but we noticed some slowdowns when using high settings.
- Bringing fine graphic settings to medium presets solved these problems and our capabilities became more enjoyable.
- Despite the fact that Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 Pro, easy to cope with everyday tasks, he suffers from problems with heating.
- The hourly session of PUBG Mobile heated the device a lot, especially in the area around the fingerprint sensor.
- The temperature increase was quite dramatic and we had to idle for a while to allow the smartphone to cool.
- We hope that Xiaomi will be able to solve this problem with an OTA update in the near future.
- The quality of the calls on the Note 7 Pro was good, with a loud and clear sound.
- Mounted on the back, a fingerprint sensor impressed us with its speed and accuracy.
- The face unlock function was also fast, but it worked, a little worse, in poorly lit environments.
Cameras on Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 Pro
With the equipment for photo and video, the Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 Pro is equipped with a 48-megapixel main camera, a Sony IMX586 sensor, an aperture of f / 1.79 and a pixel size of 1.6 microns. The main camera is accompanied by a 5 megapixel depth sensor.
As for the features, the list includes AI Portrait mode, AI Studio Lighting, AI Dynamic Bokeh, video recording, in slow mode and 4K video capture .
- On the front panel is a 13 megapixel front camera, for self-portraits. It supports features like AI Portrait mode, AI Studio Lighting and AI Beautification.
- Note 7 Pro definitely raises the bar for quality cameras, smartphones, in its price range.
- It captures beautiful images with sufficient detail, wide dynamic range and good vibration.
- Photographs taken by Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 Pro, as a rule, are of higher quality, compared to what similar smartphones are capable of .
Battery life Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 Pro
After a full day of use, which consisted of several phone calls, listening to music, through a wireless headset, for several hours, watching several videos, on YouTube , working on the Internet and social networks, and playing games, for an hour, at the device end of the day, there are still 15-20 percent of the energy.
- Using the aforementioned use pattern, we get, on average, about 13 hours of active use, per charge.
- As for the degree of exhaustion, the battery Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 Pro, with a capacity of 4000 mAh lost about 10-12 percent, after 30 minutes of playing PUBG Mobile, with several Internet-connected applications running in the background.
- In our HD video test, the smartphone worked for an impressive 19 hours and 23 minutes before the battery was completely discharged.
- Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 Pro supports Qualcomm’s Quick Charge 4.0 charging technology , but unfortunately, the 10 W charger included in the package is not compatible with this technology, so you will have to buy it separately.
- The 10-volt charger charges the Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 Pro from zero to 50 percent, 54 minutes to 100 percent, 2 hours and 14 minutes.
With its attractive design, smooth operation, impressive cameras and long battery life, Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 Pro has all the advantages of a reliable smartphone.
Add to this a very competitive price and Xiaomi has another champion.
This does not mean that Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 Pro is flawless. This smartphone, very quickly, heats up during games, MIUI displays unnecessary advertisements, there are several camera flaws , and the outer surface is also a magnet for dust and dirt.
Currently, there are several devices that challenge Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 Pro. Oppo K1, for example, offers a fingerprint sensor, a display and an AMOLED display.
For a slightly higher price, the Samsung Galaxy A50 offers a triple back camera, a Super AMOLED display and a built-in fingerprint sensor, and this is definitely worth a look.
The Samsung Galaxy M30 also adds a third ultra-wide camera for wide-angle shots. The Nokia 6.1 Plus offers a clean Android operating system, smooth operation and beautiful design.
The ZenFone Max Pro M2 and Realme U1 are two other smartphones worth considering in this particular price segment.
All these smartphones are competitive, but Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 Pro surpasses them in terms of visual appeal, cameras, processor, battery life and, of course, prices.
All of these key parameters affect the opinion of users and not often, you can get all these parameters in one package.
In conclusion, I would like to add that Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 Pro is a stunning smartphone, which has become another winner from Xiaomi.