Before each PC user, sooner or later, the question will arise – how to take a screenshot in windows 7. And this question will arise at the most unexpected moment when it will be necessary to very quickly take a screenshot of the computer screen for any purpose. And so that you come up with all the weapons in this problem, I decided to tell you about two ways to take a screenshot.
How to take a screenshot in windows on a computer using Windows tools?
So, for starters, I’ll show you how to take a screenshot in Windows 7, XP and Vista using the keyboard.
Not so long ago, to my surprise, I found out that even seasoned PC users sometimes do not know about this method. But it is very simple, in order to take a screenshot, just press the PrtScr key, which is located to the right of the F12 button. It also happens that this key is signed like this: Psc or PrtSc, but it is pronounced like this – Print Screen.
After you press this key, Windows will take a screenshot to the clipboard. But how to take a screenshot of a computer so that it is saved as an image?
To do this, after clicking on the Print Screen button, you need to go to the Paint editor (Start-> All programs -> Accessories -> Paint, or just click Start and type Paint in the search), then click on the word Edit -> Paste or just press Ctrl + V on the keyboard (this is one of the hotkeys, if you want to know about others read the article – Windows Hot Keys).
After the image is inserted, you can save it, File -> Save, select a location, image format and name. Now you can go to the place where you saved the picture and check it. I talked about all this in detail in the video tutorial below.
How to take a screenshot in windows
In Windows, there is another kind of screenshot, this is a screenshot of the active window. When is this feature needed? It is needed when it is necessary to take a picture not of the entire screen, but only of some small program window.
Of course, you could first take off the entire screen, and then trim all the excess in the same Paint. However, if you can make it easier, why not take advantage of this? In order to remove a separate window, first, you need to make it “active”. What does this scary word mean? The active window is the window in which you are currently working, if suddenly you are not sure, then click in this window, with the left mouse button, on any place, for example, on the area located to the left of the buttons minimize, expand and close. Then hold down the Alt button and, without releasing it, press the Print Screen key.
Well, after going to Paint, and doing the same procedure that I described above.
Advantages and disadvantages of taking screenshots using Windows
First, I will say about the advantages:
- The most important advantage is that the picture can be taken instantly. Here it all depends on your reaction, i.e. on how quickly you click on the Print Screen button.
- No need to install any special programs.
- Not a quick save. After removal, you need to separately open the graphics editor and insert a snapshot there.
- You can only take a snapshot of the entire screen or highlighted window. To remove any small piece is not possible.
These are the main pros and cons, the rest you will see for yourself when you start using this function.
How to take a screenshot of a computer screen in Windows 7, XP and Vista using a special program?
Now I will show you how to take a screenshot in Windows 7, XP and Vista using a special program. This program weighs very little, about 800 kilobytes, but it has a lot of functions, both necessary and unnecessary, but I use only one thing – taking screenshots. The program is called CaptureFree.exe, you can download it from the link at the end of the article.
You do not need to install it, as you download, just unzip the archive and you can run it. There are two articles on how to unpack archives: How to unpack RAR and zip archives? and How to archive a file or folder?
Well, now, let me explain to you in order what each item means, and how, and when to use it.
- The first item in the list is “Window / Object”. I do not use this item since it works a little incomprehensible.
- The next item is the “Region”. This item, I use it most often. It is very convenient in that with it, you can take screenshots of rectangular-square shapes of any size and anywhere on the screen.
- The third item is called “Manual.” I rarely use this item, but still, sometimes have to. If in the paragraphs above and below this, you can take a screenshot of the area of only a rectangular and square shape, then using this item, you can take a picture of an area of any shape.
- Item “Fixed Size”. In this paragraph, before taking the desired area on the screen, you must set the dimensions in advance. In what cases is this necessary? For example, if you want to post a picture on the forum, and there is a limitation, they say, “the width of your image should not exceed 600 pixels, and the height is 500.” In this case, you immediately set the allowable height and width, and take a picture. Honestly, this item came in handy just a couple of times, I have not met restrictions on the size of images for a long time. In addition, there are special services to reduce the size to necessary.
- “Scrolling” – this item is inconvenient, like the first one, so I don’t use it at all.
- Well, as for the item “Full Screen”, then a screenshot of the entire screen, just like using the Print Screen button.
The items below do not need you (and me). As you understood from the description above, I mainly use only two items – “Region” and “Manual”. If you suddenly do not understand how to use them, watch the video lesson at the end of the article, there I showed everything clearly.
And something else, in this program, there is a hotkey function. If you noticed on the previous image, then opposite each item it is indicated which hotkeys you can call it up. This is very convenient, you do not need to right-click and open the program menu, just press Ctrl + Shift + R and you can select and remove the area that is needed.
If you often have screenshots, then you can enable the option “Download at system startup” in the settings, and then this program will be included with Windows startup (you can find out what autoload is in the article What is autoload?).
Advantages and disadvantages of taking pictures using the CaptureFree.
- You can take screenshots of various shapes and sizes.
- You can do quick shooting using hotkeys.
- The image is saved faster than in the first method.
- The program is lightweight and easy to configure.
I did not find any flaws, well, at least I have never come across.
The only thing I want to say in advance. This program is needed for those who have to quite often “take a screenshot” of something, if you need to take a screenshot of the computer screen once a week, then it is not necessary to download this program.