The Japanese automobile corporation Toyota in a short time implemented a planned restyling of the eponymous company SUV of the Highlander series. In the next revision, the post-reform 2019 Toyota Highlander model implies small changes in the bodywork, interior updates and an increase in maximum speed due to the expansion of the motor range.
A characteristic feature of the appearance of the new items is the dominance of elements of an aggressive style.
According to experts, the designers managed to combine modern standards of reliability, elegance, road comfort and operational safety in one development.
Initial sales started in America, after which the car entered Australia and Europe. Among the Highlander competitors it should be noted:
- Ford Explorer.
- Volkswagen Touareg.
- Dodge Journey.
- Nissan Pathfinder.
- Porsche Cayenne.
- Audi Q
- Mazda CX-9.
The official photos of the 2019 Toyota Highlander model show clearly that the changes in the exterior made by the manufacturer are minimal.
First of all, this is due to the fact that the existing design creates a classic image of an impressive SUV for a car.
Interior of the 2019 Toyota Highlander
2019 Toyota Highlander retained all the existing advantages of the cabin, the main of which include:
- High-quality finish.
- The possibility of three-row execution with a capacity of 7 or 8 people.
- A significant number of modern security and comfort systems.
- High ergonomics.
In addition to the equipment forming the listed features, the crossover received:
- New color schemes for interior decoration.
- Increased to six the number of USB connectors for connecting various gadgets.
- Inserts with improved sound-absorbing properties.
- Increased central boxing.
- Additional controls on the multifunction steering wheel.
- Updated software for the infotainment complex.
Also, the crossover retained the following dimensions:
- Length – 4.89 m.
- Width – 1.93 m.
- Height – 1.77 m.
- Wheelbase – 2.79 m.
- Clearance – 20.0 cm.
- Luggage compartment size – 230-1300 l (depending on capacity).
These dimensions make the Highlander one of the largest crossovers in its class.
The use of gasoline engines with the following technical parameters is planned as power units on the new 2019 Toyota Highlander model:
- Power – 180.0 liters. s., volume – 2.7 liters.
- Power – 270.0 l. s., volume – 3.5 liters.
Both engines will be aggregated with a six-speed automatic transmission, while the all-wheel-drive will remain basic, the front-wheel-drive is considered an option.
The Toyota Company plans to maintain the existing names of the versions of the crossover configuration:
The list of options for each of the six options will be revised. Among the numerous equipment designed to equip a car, it should be noted:
- Electric power steering.
- Multifunctional steering wheel.
- LED head optics with automatic shutdown function.
- Pressure, light, rain controllers.
- Electrically adjustable exterior mirrors, folding and mounted direction indicators.
- Intelligent entrance to the cabin.
- Starting the motor with a button.
- Electric opening of the back door.
- Electric heating for all seats.
- Three-zone climate control.
- Electrically adjustable front seats in 8 directions.
- All-round panoramic view.
- Cruise control.
- Eight airbags and curtains.
- Assistant when driving on the rise and descent.
- Indicator of the amount of washer fluid.
- Traction control system.
- Parking sensors.
- 12 audio speakers.
- Complex for tracking road signs and markings.
- Navigation and infotainment systems.
The exterior of the 2019 Toyota Highlander
The Toyota Highlander 2019, presented in New York, received not only a lot of innovative technological developments but also a significantly changed design.
The 4th generation car has acquired a more streamlined silhouette, in which dynamism is successfully emphasized by an aggressive “look” and a spectacular relief.
The exterior of the updated crossover is formed by:
- A smaller hexagonal radiator grill, which has received a fashionable black grille with chrome trim.
- A radically new form of head optics, giving the car an aggressive touch.
- Massive front bumper with a large air intake and fog lights built into niches.
- Two-color mirrors with turn signal repeaters.
- Black racks creating the original effect of a floating roof.
- High side glazing line.
- Effective stamping of body elements.
- Large wheels R18-R20 with a new design.
- A new shape of the rear lights, which have become even wider.
- Massive rear bumper with protection inherent in SUV class models and integrated dimensions.
Indeed, the 2019 Toyota Highlander turned out to be unlike other brainchildren of the brand, which, according to experts, will attract future owners.
2019 Toyota Highlander
The 2019 Toyota Highlander crossover is a large and powerful car that combines excellent off-road qualities, spectacular design and unconditional reliability, which has become a characteristic feature of all cars of this largest Japanese manufacturer.
From 2000 to 2018, 3 generations of the model were released, and today, all SUV lovers are interested in the question of when the new Toyota Highlander crossover will be released and what the 2019 car will be like.
The first midsize crossover Toyota Highlander XU20 was introduced in Japan in 2000 and was known under the name Kluger at home.
The model was based on the Camry platform and was equipped with front-wheel or all-wheel drive. The customers were offered a choice of modifications with 5 and 7-seater salons.
The first generation received two significant improvements:
- in 2004, instead of gasoline 2.4 and 3.0-liter engines, the crossover received a new 3.3-liter power unit with 225 hp
- In 2005, the first Toyota Highlander hybrid version was released.
The second generation of the SUV was introduced in 2007. In addition to visual changes in the exterior and interior, the car received a 3.5-liter V6 with a capacity of 270 liters. And also a package of various options.
In 2010, a restyling Highlander of the 2nd generation was released.
In 2013, the third generation of the crossover came out, the features of which were:
- spacious 7-seater lounge;
- stylish exterior;
- A new line of powerful power units.
As the new fourth-generation Highlander increased in size, this entailed some changes in the internal layout.
The car added just six centimeters, and almost all of them fell into the luggage compartment, giving the second row more space for maneuvers by three centimeters. And the third row no longer seems inhospitable.
In the standard position, the luggage compartment has a useful volume of 455 liters, if you fold the backs of the third row, the volume increases to 1150 liters, and if you fold the second row, you can load all 2075 liters.
It is noteworthy that the third generation of the crossover could boast in this position a large amount of luggage – 2370 liters.
But in the standard position, the novelty outperforms its predecessor almost 60 liters of usable volume.
Power of the 2019 Toyota Highlander
On a new SUV from the Highlander range, one of three engines can be installed – two gasoline and one hybrid.
Depending on the motor, the final operational and technical characteristics of the machine are determined, which can be estimated by watching a video test drive.
The first motor is as follows:
- Working volume – 2.7-liter.
- Power – 187 l. with.
- Torque – 250 Nm.
- Maximum fuel consumption – 11.8 liters.
Such an engine is combined exclusively with a 6-speed automatic transmission.
The second engine is quite different from the first:
- Working volume – 3.5-liter.
- Power – 273 liters with.
- Torque – 370 Nm.
- Maximum fuel consumption – 13.1 liters.
The machine equipped with this engine has 8-speed automatic transmission.
The new 2019 Toyota Highlander will be based on the TNGA-K platform, which will make the car a platform RAV 4 and Camry.
The motor range of the novelty includes two options:
|Petrol V6||3.5 liters||295 liters with.|
|Hybrid (gasoline aspirated + 2 electric motors)||2.5 liters||240 l with.|
Like the previous version, the cars will be equipped with a reliable 6-speed automatic transmission or an innovative 8-speed automatic transmission.
Working to improve the model, Toyota engineers paid special attention to passenger and driver safety issues.
The car is equipped with the innovative Toyota Safety Sense 2.0 system, which includes a complete package of options for driver and passenger safety:
- Set of airbags.
- Adaptive cruise control.
- Lane assist.
- Reading markings and road signs.
- Pedestrian detection.
- The emergency braking system, etc.
In the maximum configuration, the novelty will receive all-wheel drive with traction vectorization and a modern Multi-Terrain Select system.
Allows you to choose the optimal driving mode, taking into account the characteristics of the road surface (including for dirt, stones, and sand).
Silence is a hallmark of the new 2019 Toyota Highlander. Thanks to the excellent fit of body parts, the sound of wind and road is almost inaudible in the cabin.
Conventional and hybrid V-6 engines produce an exquisite growl during acceleration, but it disappears at cruising speeds.
Given that there are no powertrain changes, the 2019 EPA ratings should be similar to the 2018 Highlander performance.
This means that the four-cylinder LE will again receive a rating of 20/24/22 mpg in city/highway/ combined modes.
The gas V-6 should be approximately 20/27/23 mpg with front-wheel drive and 19/26/22 with AWD. The front-wheel-drive versions of LE Plus, XLE, SE, Limited and Platinum should again be rated 21/27/23 mpg. AWD LE Plus will remain at 20/27/23 mpg, while all other AWD classes will again be rated 20/26/22.
2019 Toyota Highlander Hybrid is the most economical three-row crossover in America, despite the fact that it is standard on AWD and has a curb weight of up to 4861 pounds.
All Toyota Highlander configurations will again be equipped with the Toyota Safety Sense P (TSS-P) standard, which is a set of driver support functions.
Even in the database, the car will be equipped with the following package:
- Prevention of a front collision with autonomous emergency braking and pedestrian detection;
- Exit warning with automatic steering correction;
- Automatic high beam headlights;
- Radar cruise control to maintain a predetermined distance from moving forward;
- Blindspot detection;
- Emergency braking in the event of a malfunction of key vehicle components;
- Rear View Camera;
- Seat seats with fabric upholstery;
- Keyless access
- Five USB ports
- The basic version of the Toyota entertainment system on a 6.1-inch touch screen.
Price of the Toyota Highlander 2019
Of the six main modifications, domestic motorists will be able to appreciate the merits of only two. The cost of the LE model starts from $31,830. The price of the Platinum Series SUV, advanced in terms of power and comfort, can vary, taking into account the number and purpose of additional options.